I’m a mind reader. Here’s what you’re thinking: ”Ew, Rachel. I will never try that! Gross.”
But I can also see the future. And here’s what you’ll be saying after putting on your Big Girl (or Big Boy) pants and making it: ”Holy cow. It’s actually super delicious. I’m impressed that a sauce made with tofu can actually taste like an alfredo sauce!”
And that’s all I have to say about that.
(PS – This tastes the BEST topped with a few chopped walnuts, craisins or raisins, and unsweetened shredded coconut). Mm.
(PPS – This recipe calls for Nutritional Yeast, which is flaked yeast that’s high in many of the B vitamins that are typically lacking in a vegetarian/vegan diet. It makes everything taste cheesy. Again, don’t say gross until you add a tablespoon or two to a sauce or dish!)
(PPPS – We spooned this sauce over some delicious Farro, which is a grain that’s very high in fiber and protein. But it would also taste great over some whole wheat pasta.)
(PPPPS – Guess that’s not all I had to say?)
- ½ block firm tofu
- 1 sweet potato, cooked and skinned
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins or Craisins
- ¼ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Poke holes in the sweet potato and cook in the microwave on high for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Remove from skin.
- Blend all ingredients (from tofu to pepper) in a food processor until smooth.
- Scrape into a small sauce pan and whisk over medium heat until bubbly and warm.
- Spoon over veggie, pasta, or cooked grains.
- Top with walnuts, raisins, and coconut.